Netwatcher is a simple yet flexible computer networks "health monitoring" software, targeted primarily at "server farms" (or rather "server zooes"?) like those used in ISP companies. Basic concepts are:
Why another monitor? Announcement posted when the first version was published. There is a document describing architecture of the system. Get the software from the project page:
- Use of HTTP as monitoring and management console
- Use perl for maximum portability
- Avoid propriatry agents on monitored objects, stay with SNMPd
- Use SQL database to keep both configuration and status of objects
- Monitors that actually probe the status of objects are logically separated from the part that makes decisions, send notifications etc.
Eugene Crosser <crosser at average dot org>